Pages

Thursday 11 September 2014

Where to start?

I was on holiday these last few weeks. First in Portugal, to visit family, and then to Brazil for the 5th International Urban Sketching Symposium which took place in Paraty.

I know: I'm lucky like that.

I have sketched so much during these last few weeks that I don't know where to start sharing. So I guess the easiest way to proceed is chronologically, and so, with my week in Portugal.

I took the small Laloran sketchbook we received at last year's USk Symposium in Barcelona and dedicated it exclusively to my time in Portugal, before and after Brazil.

I have to say I loved that sketchbook! The paper is great, the book is beautiful and the pocket size, which I thought I would find limiting, was very handy.

Laloran is a small company from Sintra, Portugal. I highly recommend their products, which you can order online.

Here are some of my favourite sketches from that time.

At home with the family:

Casa Amieira
I loved the shadows of the laundry. Very peaceful scene.

Cachorro
One of my aunts has a new puppy. Cutest thing ever! 

Praia
It wouldn't be a holiday in Portugal without a trip to the beach.

15 Agosto
On August 15th there is always a celebration in honour of Nossa Senhora da Boa Morte (Our Lady of Good Death), with many folclore groups performing.

15 Agosto
I tried to capture the variety of the traditional costumes. There was even a guest group from Italy.

I spent a short time in Lisbon before heading to Brazil. I mainly went to the area of Belém, one of my favourite parts of the city.

Museu de arqueologia
There was an exhibition on treasures recovered from the ocean at the Museum of Archeology.

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos
My first attempt at sketching the Mosteiro dos Jerónimos. Such a complex building! 

Jardim botânico
I also spent some time at the botanical garden nearby. I spotted a dragon tree. I had never heard of it, so was very curious to see it.

Jardim botânico
I found this beautiful bust of an African woman. Couldn't help sketching it.

Lisboa
I made this last sketch after my trip to Brazil. I tried to apply some of the things I learned during one of the workshops at the symposium. More on that in a future post.

Unfortunately, this post would be far too long if I posted all the sketches. You can find the rest of my drawings from that time in Portugal in my Flickr stream under the link to the dedicated album.

No comments:

Post a Comment